LifeShare holds blood drive at Health Center

Allison Bray

Free food and T-shirts were available to students the last two days at the LifeShare Community Blood Services blood drive, held in the DeWeese Health Center parking lot in two custom-made bloodmobiles.

Diane Van Tilburg, a donor recruitment representative for LifeShare, said about 100 students donated blood Wednesday, and with 62 students signed up in advance, she was expecting about 100 yesterday as well.

Van Tilburg said one blood donation can help save up to four lives. For every 35 units of blood collected, Kent State will receive one $500 scholarship, but students must be registered full-time and attend the main campus to qualify, she said. Six or seven scholarships were earned last spring.

Jennifer Sturtevant, a junior sports administration major, said she was recruited for the drive through a booth at Dunbar. She said she donates as often she can because it is a way to give back to the community.

Freshman music performance major Dylan Gomez said he donated blood yesterday because he wanted to help people and get free food. Gomez also donates whenever he is able.

Van Tilburg, a Kent State alumna, said LifeShare has held blood drives at the Stark and Tuscarawas campuses, but last March was the first time a drive was held at the Kent campus.

She said giving scholarships and saving lives are what the LifeShare blood drive is all about, so it is a “win-win situation” for everyone.

Contact health and medical reporter Allison Bray at [email protected].