New semester, new faces, new goals

Kristen Russo

TV-2 prepares for first news broadcast

TV-2 general manager Mike Paquin and news director Katie Morse were up until 4:30 a.m. last Wednesday selecting the on-air talent who will be bringing you the news this semester.

“I was really impressed with the people who came out and auditioned. I wish that we had more spots that we could put people in because everyone did a great job,” Morse said.

Potential anchors had to be able to “come across to the audience,” Morse said. They also must have good writing skills and sound news judgment.

Paquin said those who auditioned were judged on how well they presented themselves on camera, how well they read from the prompter and their overall potential.

“We can tell if they are nervous about being on camera or just nervous about tryouts,” he said.

Morse said she was excited about the turnout; 107 people auditioned for 60 talent spots available.

“The new anchors are very personable, and I think the audience will relate to them very well,” she said.

Brittany Wasko, a freshman broadcast journalism major, will be doing weather reports this semester. She said her goal is to become more familiar with the weather.

“I’m excited to get into the meteorology side of it, so I can understand what I’m talking about instead of just reading off the graphics,” she said.

Paquin also said the college corner segment will be replaced with a new segment that focuses on five different areas – one for each night of the week.

“There were some problems filling just college corner with info,” Paquin said. “We decided to use that segment to hit other areas.”

Morse said during the first week on the air, viewers can also expect a walk-through of Stopher and Johnson halls and an interview with the new dean of the College of Nursing.

Paul Schillig, anchor and senior electronic media management major, will be entering his fourth year with TV-2 News, which he said he enjoys because of the valuable experience he is gaining.

“You can’t get this experience anywhere else. The people and the atmosphere around here are so fun,” he said.

Students on campus will be able to view the first broadcast of the semester at 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 19 on Channel 2. A second broadcast for off-campus viewers in Portage Country will air at 6:30 p.m. on Channel 16.

For more information, visit http://tv2.kent.edu.

Contact College of Communication and Information reporter Kristen Russo at [email protected].

TV-2’s new weekly segments

• Monday -ÿCampus life

• Tuesday -ÿRegional campus news

• Wednesday -ÿNightlife

• Thursday -ÿAdopt-a-pet

• Friday -ÿHealth and consumer news