FlashCard: Leave it at home, and you miss out

Dan Stroble

Sub from Quiznos: $5.25.

Kent State sweatshirt from DuBois Bookstore: $25.

Drink from a vending machine: $1.25.

Knowing that you can pay for all of the above with just one card: Priceless.

It may sound like a gimmicky slogan, but with the FlashCard, it couldn’t be more true. Accepted at all dining halls and food court restaurants, copiers, vending machines, libraries and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, the card is practically all a Kent State students needs to enjoy themselves.

Students and parents may add money to the card. The money, called FlashCash, is stored on a student’s FlashCard (photo ID). As well as holding the debit-style cash, the card also stores the money for a student’s food plan.

“The benefit is you don’t have to carry around cash with you,” said Jody Helton, an accounts clerk in the FlashCard office. “Your parents can call in money — and you have instant access to that. And that’s probably the benefit to the students. You put it on the FlashCash and you can make these purchases on campus and across town.”

Helton added another benefit is students do not need to leave money lying around in a wallet or room.

During select times in August and January, students can have the Bursar place extra student loan money onto the card.

A student can check the remaining balance on his card at the same places that he adds money. Dining Services cash registers and receipts also display the amount.

Students who need assistance with their FlashCard can visit the FlashCard office in room 104 of the Student Center. Besides creating the identifications and adding money, employees in the office can handle lost cards, give refunds and modify food plans.

Helton said the office cannot cash checks or give cash to students. All money that a student brings in must go on the card at that time.

Although students are required to have a meal plan for the first four semesters until they are junior status or 21 years old, a student may change his food plan without facing any extra charge or paperwork until Friday, Sept. 8. But there is an extra charge to the Bursar when a student increases the charge on the card.

To get a FlashCard, a student must bring a passport, driver’s license or state or military I.D. into the FlashCard office. If a student does not have any of these, he may bring in a Social Security card and birth certificate.

A student may add money to his card at http://flashcard.kent.edu, the DART machines across campus or by cash, credit card or check at the office.

The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. It will also be open Saturday, Aug. 26 and Sunday, Aug. 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Contact general assignment reporter Dan Stroble at [email protected].

AROUND TOWN

Tired of being on campus? These

establishments also accept Flashcash

Acme (Kent)

Burger King (East Main Street)

Campus Book & Supply

China City (University Plaza)

CVS Pharmacy (South Water Street)

Domino’s Pizza

Dubois Bookstore

East of Chicago Pizza

Eldorado’s Citgo

Eldorado’s Pizza Pie

Europe Gyro

Flynn’s Tire

Giant Eagle (Kent and Stow)

Guy’s Pizza

Hungry Howie’s Pizza

KSU Golf Course

Mike’s Place

Papa John’s Pizza

Pizza Hut (Kent)

Pufferbelly Ltd.

Pulp Juice & Smoothie Bar

Quizno’s Sub

Rockne’s Pub

Sorboro’s Italian Kitchen

Stark Campus Bookstore

Subway (Acme Plaza, South Water Street and Wal-mart locations)

Susan’s Coffee & Tea