Janik Drive to be closed off until August

Kurt Jakub

Janik Drive is currently closed to traffic beyond Satterfield Drive due to the construction of the University Esplanade and the construction of Stopher and Johnson Halls, said Mike Bruder, assistant director for the Office of the University Architect.

Bruder said this is the last step of the University Esplanade. He said Janik Drive will be closed for six to eight weeks.

“It’s the final phase of the Esplanade which was a three-year project,” Bruder said. He explained that the Esplanade is the large pedestrian walkway that runs from the Student Center to Franklin Hall.

Pedestrians can still gain access around the construction site said Tom Euclide, director for the Office of the University Architect.

“A small parking lot to replace some of the lost spots along Janik will be constructed,” Euclide said. “The lot will also be installed to allow cars to go through the lot, under the relocated Terrace (Midway) Arch, and drive to Stopher Hall and the Art Building parking lot.”

Bruder claimed that traffic should not be a problem for those traveling through campus.

He also said projects like these are only possible in the summer because of the substantially lower student population.

Bruder said Janik will “absolutely” be open by the time students move in this August.

Contact buildings, grounds and transportation reporter Kurt Jakub at [email protected].