Flashes grab eighth consecutive MAC title

Amanda Vasil

After three rounds, 72 holes and a composite score of 1,116, the Kent State women’s golf team clinched its eighth consecutive Mid-American Conference Championship title.

The title automatically qualifies the Flashes for the NCAA Championship, with the regional locations to be announced at 4 p.m. today.

“We’re thrilled to accomplish our first goal of the year by winning the MAC, and now we’re looking forward to the challenge of the NCAA regional,” Kent State coach Mike Morrow said in a press release. “We’re very optimistic about our chances against the top teams in the country.”

Toledo finished behind Kent State with a 1,226 final score, followed by Ball State with 1,230.

The Flashes tallied two of the best single rounds in MAC history with yesterday’s 284 and Friday’s 289, and each member finished at No. 6 or better. The average score posted by Kent State was 75.5, while the highest score recorded by the team was 77. Their final round of 284 was the best round in the history of the MAC tournament.

“Our depth provides so much protection that any of our five can shoot under par. (That) is a tremendous asset,” Morrow said. “It is obviously a key to our success, and by having five of the top six scores in the tournament speaks volumes about the quality of our program.”

For the seventh time in his career, Morrow won MAC Coach of the Year honors, while freshman Kirby Dreher was selected as MAC Freshman of the Year.

Shooting 1-under 287 on the tournament was MAC Golfer of the Year, sophomore Tara Delaney, who also finished first in the tournament with individual honors for the second time this season. She had rounds of 73, 69, 74 and 71, with her second-round score of 69 tying for low-round all-time at the MAC Championship.

Finishing second was sophomore Kira Meixner with 3-over 291, while senior Becky Wood tied for third with 6-over 294.

Wood, Meixner and Delaney were named to the All-MAC First Team along with Eastern Michigan’s Catharine Fortin and Toledo’s Tammy Clelland.

Junior Karen Delaney and Dreher were selected for the All-MAC Second Team, alongside Toledo’s Kim Kester and Natalie Storck and Ball State’s Kallie Harrison.

Contact assistant sports editor Amanda Vasil at [email protected].