KSU athletes dance, lip sinc and raise money for cancer

Kali Price

Jock Jams showcases competitors for a charitable cause tonight in the Auditorium

Instead of shooting baskets or scoring touchdowns, the 16 varsity Kent State athletic teams will be showing off their skills in a different way tonight.

The teams will be performing choreographed lip syncs and dance routines at the fourth annual Jock Jams.

The event will be held at 7:30 p.m. tonight in room 306 of the Auditorium. Each team will compete before a panel of judges. The panel will consist of Kent State faculty and staff members. The team with the most “creative and original performance” will win the annual Jock Jams trophy, said Jennifer Kulics, Kent State assistant athletic director for academics.

Admission is $2 and proceeds will be donated to the Akron Chapter of the American Cancer Society.

“Kent State Athletics is very proud to host an annual event that elicits so much enthusiasm from our student athletes and the public, and most importantly raises money for our local chapter of (the) American Cancer Society,” Kulics said.

Jock Jams will be a kick-off event for the annual Relay for Life, which begins April 29.

Last year, Jock Jams raised about $3,000 for the American Cancer Society. Additional donations will be accepted.

“We hope that local kids, especially those from Akron Children’s Hospital, will enjoy the performance and the chance to meet our student athletes and mascot after the show,” Kulics said. “Our athletes care very deeply about this chance to raise money for a cause that is so close to their hearts.”

The athletic department has special ties to cancer fundraising after losing former assistant football coach Mike Drake and former track and field athlete and assistant compliance director Isaac Perkins to cancer in 2005.

The event will be emceed by DJ $crilla. DJ $crilla and M-One will perform during half time tonight.

After the event, children may stay to meet Kent State student athletes and Flash, the Kent State mascot.

“As student athletes, we look forward to Jock Jams all year,” said Armon Gates, Kent State men’s basketball team junior guard, in a press release. “We are proud to raise money to fight cancer, and we really enjoy competing against the other Kent State teams for a good cause and showing off our moves all at once.”

Contact sports editor Kali Price at [email protected].