Student media accepts several Mark of Excellence awards

Ben Breier

The Society of Professional Journalists recently announced its 2005 Region 4 Mark of Excellence Award winners.

According to SPJ’s Web site, more than 3,100 entries were submitted. Kent State student media outlets won a total of 13 awards.

Ryan Loew, editor of the Daily Kent Stater, took first place in the magazine non-fiction category for his story about on-campus drug use in last semester’s issue of The Burr.

“It was an interesting story to report and write,” Loew said. “I wish I could’ve put more work into it, but that’s the story of our lives as journalists.”

Loew said he was pleased to see that several other Kent State students won awards.

Senior visual journalism major Pat Jarrett echoed some of Loew’s sentiments.

“Kent State’s journalism students have really stepped it up,” he said. “The caliber of work submitted from Kent State was pretty high overall, and it is shown by the number of awards we brought back.”

Jarrett won his second Mark of Excellence Award by taking first place in the photo-illustration category for his work in Fusion magazine. He said the judges praised his use of cropping as well as interesting lighting.

James Gaudino, dean of the College of Communication and Information, said he was not surprised Kent State did well in this year’s Mark of Excellence Awards.

“I’m extremely proud of the student media awards winners,” he said.

Contact College of Communication and Information reporter Ben Breier at [email protected].