Students host knitting workshop

Amanda Sowards

Molly Rammel, sophomore fashion merchandising major, and Kelly Shultz, senior fashion merchandising major, participate in yesterday’s knitting workshop in Rockwell Hall. AMANDA SOWARDS | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Carl Schierhorn

A dozen students and community members gathered around tables covered in hot pink, vibrant blue and rainbow-colored yarn last night in Rockwell Hall for the second knitting workshop of the semester.

The event was hosted by the Fashion Student Organization as a way to get the community involved in the school. FSO President Crystal Dawn Helman said the School of Fashion Design and Merchandising and FSO received more than 2,000 pairs of knitting needles last year from Smith International that specializes in knitting kits.

As part of the workshop, participants received a pair of needles and beginner instructions on how to knit. For most, the event was their first knitting experience.

“After you get the rhythm, it’s not that hard,” said Alacia Pollard, junior fashion design major, about starting her first project.

“I hope it’s a scarf when I’m done,” said Emma Krulik, senior fashion merchandising major, laughing. Krulik said while this wasn’t her first try, she has never completed anything.

Peg Simone, veteran knitter and museum docent, wore a blue and red hand-knitted sweater her sister made for her and worked on a baby bonnet and scarf while helping others.

“You don’t really forget, kind of like riding a bicycle” Simone said as she knitted faster than anyone and looked around the room.

Kent resident Sandy Shilling said she attended because she wanted to pick up knitting again. The last thing she knitted was a baby sweater 30 years ago.

Catherine Leslie, fashion merchandising assistant professor, who helped attendants, said she has been knitting for most of her life. Leslie previously taught a workshop on needlework and now teaches machine knitting. She said knitting keeps a person’s hands busy and is great for long car rides.

Record-Courier reporter Cecil Giltz agreed, saying it is especially good for type-A personalities and it has helped friends when they were trying to quit smoking.

In an attempt to get more community involvement, FSO advertised with girl scout troops and attracted troop 1347. Troop leader Kelly Peterson said they decided to come because her daughter wanted to learn, and she thought it would be a great experience for the girls.

Another workshop will be held at noon April 15 in Rockwell Hall. FSO plans to continue the workshops next year.

Contact fashion reporter Amanda Sowards at [email protected].