Students perform ‘Vagina Monologues’

Kate Bigam

The sisters of Phi Gamma Pi sorority and members of the Kent State Feminist Union will perform “The Vagina Monologues” this weekend to raise money for abused women.

The union has been putting the production on for two years; this is Phi Gamma Pi’s first year participating.

Production coordinator Sarah Collins, senior political science major, said she has been interested in performing “The Vagina Monologues” since her freshman year.

“It’s a really funny show meant to open up conversation through humor,” said Collins, former president of Phi Gamma Pi. “But there are also a lot of parts that are really dramatic and poignant.”

The performance is taking place in conjunction with V-Day, a global movement to stop violence against women and girls. According to VDay.org, each year the organization “invites members of college and university communities around the world to present benefit productions of ‘The Vagina Monologues’ on their campuses to raise money and awareness” to stop violence toward females.

All proceeds from the performance will be split between two charitable organizations.

Collins said she hopes the performance will encourage audience members to discuss issues of violence and sexual abuse.

The performances will take place tomorrow at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 1 and 7 p.m. in the Kiva.

Tickets are currently available on the second floor of the Kent Student Center.

Pre-sale ticket cost is $7 for students and $9 for the general public. Tickets sold at the door are $8 and $10.

Contact Greek life reporter Kate Bigam at [email protected].