Wick Center hosts second reading, poets to visit creative writing classes

Students and faculty have at least one more chance to get their creative and poetic juices flowing before Spring Break.

The Wick Poetry Center is hosting its second reading of the semester today at 7:30 p.m. in room 306 of the Student Center. The featured presenters, Kevin Prufer and Joy Katz, will be speaking throughout the day in a series of classroom workshops and then presenting their work at an evening poetry reading.

Wick assistant Jessica Jewell said Prufer and Katz were chosen to present their work because they are both accomplished poets.

“They each have been honored in their field, including both having published two books,” Jewell said. “The Wick Poetry Center is honored that they have agreed to come to Kent, read their work and speak to students.”

The poets will be attending creative writing classes throughout the day to talk with students about their work.

Katz will also be giving a brown bag lunch discussion the Wick Poetry Center is co-sponsoring with Hillel. Her presentation, “The Holocaust is a Terrible Nuisance,” will be held in the Wick Poetry Corner on the second floor of the Library from noon to 1 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

The poets will be available to answer questions after this evening’s reading, which is also free and open to the public.

– Heather Bing