Red carpet rolls out in Rathskeller

Ally Melling

Students gather to watch, celebrate Oscars in style

John Jaszczuk, senior English major, and Kelly Dorsey, senior visual communication design major, fill out Oscar nominee ballots before the Oscar party in the Rathskeller last night. ARIANE R. CAVIN | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Carl Schierhorn

While the stars came out to be honored last night, Kent State students also gathered to cheer them on in style.

More than a dozen shared company, food and laughs during Kent Student Center Programming’s annual Oscar Party in the Rathskeller.

“I think the turnout is good, and people are having fun being dressed up,” said Rachael Shansky, event coordinator and senior communication studies major. “I’m very pleased with it all.”

Shansky and fellow event coordinator Mahlon Rhodes said they viewed the Oscar Party as more than a personal and campus-wide tradition.

“My mom used to make me watch the Oscars when I was little,” said Rhodes, senior English major. “I’ve grown to appreciate movies more since then, and I’ve actually seen some of the movies nominated tonight.”

Students in the dimly-lit room cheered on the first appearance of Jon Stewart, this year’s Academy Award host.

THE OSCAR’S PICKS

BEST ACTOR

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote

BEST ACTRESS

Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

George Clooney, Syriana

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener

BEST FILM

Crash

Famous for his politically-driven, Comedy Central news show, “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” he did not hesitate to bring both political and film-based hilarity to all watchers. Cracks poking at topics from Angelina Jolie’s pregnancy to the liberal majority of Hollywood were presented with comedic timing.

“Unfortunately, Bjork could not be here tonight,” Stewart said during his opening line of jokes. “She was trying on her dress for the Oscars and Dick Cheney shot her.”

Most Oscar Party attendees dined on themed finger foods such as “Brokeback meatballs,” purchased a few drinks from the bar and laughed with their favorite actors at the jokes of the speakers. At times, speeches, and wins and losses were accompanied by verbal commentary that sent some watchers into their own bouts of laughter.

Students also filled out ballots before the start of the award announcements. The person with the largest number of correct predictions at the end of the evening won a free Scene It? movie trivia game. The runner-up won a free copy of Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride, a Best Animated Feature Film nominee that eventually lost to Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

“I love movies, and the fact that there are movies and food together tonight is a plus,” junior architecture major Ryan Bostic said. “It’s a tradition of mine to watch the Oscars with friends. I came here tonight to be with them.”

English graduate student Mike Varrati noted an additional importance of the night’s events to fellow attendees.

“They say that there’s no competition in art, but there is recognition,” Varrati said. “That’s what this is about, recognizing the best of the best. The Oscars are for film what the Super Bowl is for football. Tonight is ultimately for winners.”

Contact on-campus entertainment reporter Ally Melling at [email protected].