Soul Food stirs up crowd, excitement

Bethy DeLong

Students clapped their hands and stomped their feet to the beat as they enjoyed the taste of soul food in the lively atmosphere of Eastway Center last night.

Soul Food, an event sponsored by Dining Services, Kent Interhall Council and Black & Latino Greek Council, brought a large number of students to enjoy the food, song and dance of black history.

Della Marie Marshall, adviser of Black & Latino Greek Council and associate director of Campus Life, said Soul Food is a celebration of African food and dance.

“This event brings the community together,” Marshall said. “The celebration of African-American foods and dance gives students the chance to celebrate their culture and its history.”

Soul Food also featured the campus gospel choir, Voices of Testimony. This group, which is made up of students, performed several times to show off their talent.

“I was excited to perform at Soul Food because it is something we attend every semester,” said Karol Jackson-Bostick, sophomore physical education major. “It gives us a chance to get out and show the campus who we are and what we do.”

Black & Latino Greek Council also sponsored a step show featuring different fraternities and sororities.

Marshall hosted the performances and explained the differences between step dancing and strolling. Both were performed.

“Step dancing makes a lot of noise with your feet and uses intricate moves,” Marshall said. “Strolling is different in that it is done to music.”

Jonathan Headen, of Alpha Phi Alpha, performed a special dance step called the Alpha train. Headen, who is a graduate student, performed several times to show the crowd what step dancing is all about.

“I always like to be moving,” Headen said. “I have been interested in stepping since I was young.”

Headen explained stepping is part of some fraternities’ leisure time. It also is a way to continue the tradition of African dance.

“The step show brings a lot of students into Eastway,” said Eugene Walters, marketing manager of Dining Services. “We could not have done it without the help of Kent Interhall Council and their donation of the dance floor for the step dancers.”

Contact room and board reporter Bethy DeLong at [email protected].