Habitat hosts Valentine’s dance

Meghan Gauriloff

VALENTINE’S DANCE

When? 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. tonight

Where? Rathskeller

How much? Free with valid Kent State Flashcard, $1 without

Habitat for Humanity volunteers will replace their hammers and nails for pink, red and white balloons and a rolled-out pink carpet today at the first Valentine’s Day Dance hosted by the organization.

The dance will be from 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the Rathskeller, and the event is open to the public.

It is free to students with a valid Kent State FlashCard, and $1 without.

“Everyone is welcome to come, whether you’re black, white, short or tall,” said Deidre Jones, senior fashion merchandising major and co-president of Kent State’s Habitat for Humanity. “I don’t care who you are as long as you come with an open mind.”

The dance is also a way for current volunteers to help spread the word about what Habitat for Humanity does, Jones said.

Information about Habitat for Humanity and how to get involved will be provided at the dance.

“It’s an event to get the name out there more than anything,” said Eli Konwest, senior anthropology major and co-president of Habitat for Humanity. “It will be a good kick-off to the semester.”

Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization that builds and rehabilitates homes for people who cannot afford to do so on their own.

The organization is currently rehabilitating a house in Ravenna. Volunteers work on the house every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Anybody can volunteer.

“You don’t need any experience,” Konwest said. “You don’t even need to know how to swing a hammer.”

A variety of music will be played at the dance, ranging from ’80s to hip-hop to salsa, Jones said.

The dance is casual dress, and light refreshments will be provided.

Raffle tickets will also be sold for $1 for a chance to win a variety of prizes and gift certificates.

Kent State’s Habitat for Humanity will also be having a carnation sale on Feb. 13 and 14 on the second floor of the Student Center and in Bowman Hall. Assorted colors will be available, and each carnation will cost $1.

Bags of Valentine candy will also be on sale in Bowman Hall for 50 cents a bag.

Weekly meetings for Kent State’s Habitat for Humanity are at 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays in room 318 of the Student Center.

Contact social services reporter Meghan Gauriloff at [email protected].