Men’s and women’s track and field take third

Amanda Vasil

The Kent State men’s and women’s track and field teams placed third at the Nebraska Triangular Saturday.

The men’s team scored 104.5 points behind first place Nebraska with 120.5 points and Colorado State with 120 points. The women fell short with 79 points, while Nebraska took first place with 148.5 points, followed by Colorado State with 128.5 points.

Freshman Jaroslaw Zakrzewski led the men’s team in field events, recording a NCAA weight-throw provisional qualifying distance of 64-8 1/2. In doing so, Zakrzewski finished first, as well as set a personal-best, beating his old record of 63-8 1/4.

Also posting a provisional qualifying distance in the weight throw was sophomore Andy Nicholas, throwing a career-high 62-10. Nicholas placed third in the event.

No. 4 junior Brent Shelby finished first in the toss, scoring 59-2 1/4.

Sophomore Jesse Armbruster grabbed a first-place finish in the mile with a run time of 4:17:08, setting a season and career record for himself.

The women’s team was led by sophomore Stephanie Hunt, who placed first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 55.71. Dominika Stokowska contributed with a time of 1:22:79 in the 600-yard run.

The Flashes return home this weekend to host the Central Collegiate Championships Friday and Saturday at the Fieldhouse.