Security lends helping hand, latenight job opportunities for students

tephanie Park

Working nine to five isn’t the ideal schedule for everyone.

It certainly isn’t for senior criminal justice major Zaki Hazou.

“Staying up until 4 a.m. is no problem,” he said. “I’m a night kind of person.”

A typical work day for Hazou starts at 8 p.m. and ends around 4 a.m. And he is not alone – about 45 Kent State security aids work the same shift.

For students who like late hours and need a job, Kent State security may be just the answer, Security Manager Brian Hellwig said.

Hellwig said the security office is hiring 15 to 20 new workers next semester in order to replace graduating employees and to increase staffing.

“Currently we have 44 security aids and we operate seven days a week, 365 days a year,” he said. “The major thing we do is help students.”

Hellwig said responsibilities of security aids include making rounds in different residence halls each night. Security aids also escort students across campus if they don’t want to walk alone during these hours.

Helping others is one reason Hazou said he likes his job.

“More students see (security aids) as a threat rather than a good thing,” he said. “Residents perceive us like cops out to ruin college life – we’re basically watching out for the things they do.”

Hazou said he has called an ambulance to help students on several occasions, one of whom stopped breathing due to alcohol consumption.

“When I approach a room to get alcohol out, I’m helping you,” he said. “You may not know when to stop.”

Hellwig said he hopes students understand security’s helpful intentions, which are reflected in its new slogan: “Security ƒ_” offering a helping hand.”

“We don’t want students to feel like they can’t approach security,” he said. “We are there to assist students with whatever issues they have.”

Despite the negative views Hazou said he feels some students have toward security, he has stayed with the job for four years.

“If you’re interested in a career in law enforcement, this is definitely the job,” he said.

Training to become a security aid includes training with the Kent State Police Department, as well as the university’s fire and prevention safety program, Hellwig said.

Hazou said he appreciates the opportunity to form respectful relationships with the police department.

For people who would like this opportunity, the security office in Clark Hall can be reached for employment information, Hellwig said, adding that he encourages people to apply.

“I love working with security because it’s always something different each day,” he said. “Change is something constant in the program – never a dull moment.”

Contact room and board reporter Stephanie Park at [email protected].