Kent State embraces the season for giving

Katie Alberti

With the holiday season in full swing, Kent State, along with Change Hunger and the Portage Animal Protective League (PAPL), are ready to help those throughout Portage County who need it the most.

After holding a holiday food drive from Nov. 1 to Nov. 23, the 2005 Kent State/Change Hunger Holiday Food Drive received more than $500 and more than 3,600 pounds of items.

Of the goods donated, 3,350 pounds of the donated materials consisted of non-perishable food, paper products and toiletries, said Kerry Angle, who works in the Bursar’s Office. The PAPL will receive 330 pounds of goods, consisting of pet food and supplies.

Although the drive received more than 6,000 pounds of donated goods last year, Angle said the decrease is probably because of people donating to other fundraisers.

“This year has been an extremely difficult time for many, especially those involved with Katrina and other disasters,” she said. “I think many of the faculty, staff and students gave in other ways this year, which might have affected the contributions for the Holiday Food Drive.”

Despite the decrease in donations, Change Hunger and the PAPL will use the money to help those who need it the most.

Change Hunger, a local volunteer agency, will work in benefit of 17 food pantries, hot meal programs and shelters throughout Portage County, Angle said.

The PAPL uses its donations to provide a shelter for homeless and abandoned animals within the area.

With more than 100 collection bins located throughout campus and 87 volunteer building supervisors, Angle said students were welcome to participate in the drive.

Those interested in donating or volunteering their time with the PAPL can call 330-296-4022.

To help with Change Hunger, contact the Center for Hope in Ravenna, at 330-297-5454.

With donations for the holiday drive down from last year, Angle said it doesn’t make a difference, every bit of help is wonderful.

“Each year, Kent State faculty, staff and students look forward to helping the community beyond our campus,” she said. “The Holiday Food Drive is one way that we feel we can all make a difference.”

Contact social service reporter Katie Alberti at [email protected].