WEB EXCLUSIVE: Honors fraternity initiates new members

Lauren Polly

Omicron Delta Kappa, national leadership fraternity, celebrated its 40th anniversary by initiating three new members on Sunday.

Erin Hancock, Edward Suarez-Moreira and Megan Sedello became members of the fraternity in front of 20 members, alumni, family and friends. The new members swore to uphold the ideals, traditions, constitution and bylaws and to loyally support ODK’s local and national officers.

“I want to strive to become a better leader,” said Megan Sedello, member of Delta Zeta and junior speech pathology major. “I’ve never been one to be a leader. I’ve always been a follower, so this will step it up.”

Harold Goldsmith, vice president of enrollment management and student affairs, spoke to the new members about what ODK’s leadership opportunities will do for them in the future. Goldsmith talked about the changes in technology and how diverse the United States is becoming.

“Who we are connected to and who we are next to is no longer the same thing,” said Goldsmith.

Goldsmith mentioned ODK’s storied tradition and recognized the members’ honor and leadership skills. When he visits other universities with ODK circles, he always feels connected to the students in those organizations, he said.

“I hope to try and work further in developing my leadership skills,” said Suarez-Moreira, a graduate student studying cell and molecular biology and graduate student senate colloquium chair. “I’ll do this by learning from others and contributing my leadership skills to others.”

President of ODK Nicole Silver was recognized with the President’s Pin by Paul Milton, faculty adviser of ODK and director of Recreational Services. One member each year is recognized for their outstanding leadership and contribution to the organization with this pin. Milton said Silver’s perseverance in keeping momentum for the fraternity and upholding lofty goals is what earned her the award.

In honor of the ODK’s 40th anniversary, a reception was held after initiation.

Contact Greek life reporter Lauren Polly at [email protected].