Letters to the Editor

University, professors should address issue of suicide with students

Dear Editor:

Five years ago when Sept. 11 happened, professors talked about little else for weeks. Professors talk about the war pretty regularly, too. Even if such events have nothing to do with the class, they’re lessons more important than that day’s calculus or history or architecture notes.

Fair enough.

So another student mysteriously dies in a dorm. That’s number … four? Five? In the past year and a half? I wonder if professors are smart enough to address such a serious issue that obviously touches students’ lives much more directly than these other tragedies. This is happening down the hall – in the building across the street. I hope the university starts to take a more “let’s fix this” approach and actually starts talking about this. It’s much better to bring it into the open and say the s-word – suicide – than shove it back in the closet so more students on the brink think there’s no other option.

Jaclyn Youhana

Class of 2005

Students should be willing to lead without receiving payment

Dear Editor:

In regards to the editorial board’s opinion on student leaders, I wholeheartedly agree with the headline that reads “Extra curricular activities aren’t jobs.” Rather than limiting compensation to organizations that cater to the entire student body, I would argue that no student leader should get paid.

Student organizations are part of the college experience that really enhance one’s university education. Stepping up as a leader in any of the many student organizations that Kent State has to offer will no doubt provide a myriad of opportunities to serve your fellow students, make connections within the university community and develop leadership skills that will benefit you throughout your life.

Students at Kent State can find an organization they are interested in and really pitch in and further the goals of that organization, whether those goals are putting on entertainment for the entire student body, advancing the cause of black people around the world, organizing activities strictly for the Greek organizations or providing resources for Kent State’s many commuter students. I am not so pessimistic as to believe that without the extra incentive of compensation, students would not step up to help these organizations meet their goals.

No student leader should have to be paid for their service to the student body and personal enrichment gained through the organization during their undergraduate career. This includes Undergraduate Student Senate. USS represents the entire undergraduate student body. It should be a privilege and an honor to be able to represent those students. We want our representatives to work for us, to bring in new ideas and to provide us with a voice.

There are many Kent State students who have a lot of great ideas, drive and potential to be great leaders. I believe that by giving students pay for taking a leadership position, it inevitably brings in students who want the money. Let these students who wish to serve others and gain valuable experience pursue these positions. Without payment, students can be assured that their leaders are dedicated to the cause of whatever organization in which they are involved.

Valerie J. Fatica

Class of 2005