TV-2 tries to reach out to KSU

Kenny Peris

The Daily Kent Stater can be found in just about every building on campus, but TV-2 feels it is not as accessible because viewing limitations.

TV-2, KSU’s student-run television station, provides news, weather, sports and entertainment to all of Portage County, but can barely be seen in buildings around campus.

“Students aren’t aware there’s a TV station,” TV-2 News Director Shannon Peluso said. “TVs on campus aren’t used to promote student organizations.”

Peluso said the idea is to get TV-2 shown across campus in the Student Center, the Hub and Student Recreation and Wellness Center. TV-2 Promotions Director Kara Pospichel has met with officials at the Student Center and the rec center in an effort to get TV-2 shown on the TV’s at each establishment.

All off-campus locations that accept FlashCash or support the university, such as Rockne’s and Coach’s have also been approached to show TV-2 broadcasts, Pospichel said.

But the biggest issue is the Student Center.

“All the TVs in the student center should be tuned to us,” Pospichel said. “We’re giving news about Kent State.”

The reason TV-2 is not shown regularly in the Student Center is because no one is around at those times to change the channels, Pospichel said. She suggested that the TVs be programmed to switch to TV-2 during the broadcasts if possible.

Jon Harper, assistant director of the Student Center, said the students who watch TVs throughout the building are in control of what is on. The flat screen in the Hub and in the lobby are the only exceptions, Harper said.

The lobby TV belongs to the Undergraduate Student Senate and displays info on what the senate is doing. The Hub TV is primarily kept on CNN and is used for students to get news. The TVs on the second floor of the student center and in the Rathskeller in the basement are free, however, to whomever gets there first.

“All the TVs are up to people who watch it,” Harper said. “It’s not that we don’t want to see it.”

Hanson said that TV-2 is available any place campus cable goes and will continue to market it in the dorms and possibly to the other restaurants and establishments off campus so that people will see it and be aware.

Contact student media reporter Kenny Peris at [email protected].