Cho’s comedy a hit at Kent State

Olivia Mihalic

Stand-up comedian Margaret Cho entertains a crowd of 1,500 Saturday night at the M.A.C. Center. Cho was sponsored by PRIDE! Kent as part of Coming Out week.

Credit: Steve Schirra

Gay comedian Margaret Cho, star of the short-lived sitcom “All-American Girl” and author of the book I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight, came Saturday night to the M.A.C. Center. Her comedy show ended PRIDE! Kent’s Coming Out Week.

“We wanted to make it a campus-wide event, not just a PRIDE! event,” PRIDE! Kent president Christopher Taylor said. “We felt she would give people a night of a really good time. She fit everything we wanted.”

Cho, who just finished writing and starring in the movie Bam Bam and Celeste, had the audience of both gay and straight people roaring with her comedic take on politics, gays and her Korean heritage.

“I think she’s awesome,” said Roni Callahan, sophomore fine arts major. “She’s witty and smart in her comedy.”

There were people who came from outside of Kent to see her as well.

“I loved the show,” said Matt Swartz, a freshman from the University of Toledo. “I saw her on the DVDs she released and loved her on those too.”

Cho is famous for her opinionated comedic performances.

“If you don’t like me, I’m going to make you hate me,” she said Saturday night.

She had strong opinions on several controversial issues.

• On Bush:

“It’s so scary that we have hurricanes and George Bush as president. Who’s going to get us first? I’m not sure.”

“You know things are bad when you’re reminiscing about how great a president Ronald Reagan was.”

• On the Bush administration:

“We have the least sexy administration ever. It’s such a shame. None of them are hot.”

• On what Jesus would have to say about Christians today:

“If Jesus came back today, he would say ‘That’s not what I meant!'”

• On promiscuity:

“If it is such a problem, then why is Viagra everywhere?”

• On feminism:

“You don’t have to be a woman to be a feminist. You should be a feminist. And if you’re not, kill yourself.”

• On homosexuality:

“(Politicians) treat it likes it’s a disease. And if you think that, you’re gay.”

• On why people shouldn’t be afraid of stoners:

“They can’t commit a crime. They can barely get it together to order a pizza.”

• On people against abortion:

“Many Republicans are for the death penalty and against abortion, which proves they like to procrastinate.”

Cho’s comedy show was 3 1/2 times larger than any program PRIDE! Kent has put on, Taylor said.

For more information on Margaret Cho, visit www.margaretcho.com.

Contact on-campus entertainment reporter Olivia Mihalic at [email protected].