FlashCash convenient for some, but not necessary for others

Sean Joseph

FlashCash can take an ordinary FlashCard, a simple device that can be used as an on-campus meal card, and turn in into a spending device that can be used at over 40 locations on and off campus.

Students can turn regular money into FlashCash online at www.flashcard.kent.edu, by calling (330) 672-CARD (2273) or stopping by the FlashCard office in the Student Center in person, said Joseph Dunn, senior business manager for FlashCard Operations.

FlashCash can be used at restaurants, in the Hub during non-meal plan hours, to fill up their cars with gas, buy books and much more. It is also the only means of payment accepted by all on-campus printers and copy machines, Dunn said.

FlashCash does not expire at the end of the school year like most campus meal plans, Dunn said. It carries over as long as somebody is a student at the university. Any amount of money, big or small, can be deposited for FlashCash.

Over $2 million is spent in FlashCash every year, Dunn said. Dining Services receives the most FlashCash, but the campus bookstore is close behind.

Michelle McVay, sophomore early childhood education major, says the only time she used FlashCash was at ResNet because it was all they would accept at the time.

“I don’t see the point in using it because I have a debit card and it does the same thing,” McVay said. “Either way it’s my money being spent, so it doesn’t matter if I’m using FlashCash or regular cash.”

Dunn said FlashCash is more convenient than carrying money around. One card can be used at a lot of locations, and if it is lost it can be replaced, unlike cash.

Susan’s Coffee and Tea benefits from students using FlashCash, Assistant Manager Emily Douglas said.

“During the school year we make more than $100 a day in FlashCash,” Douglas said.

Kent Natural Food Co-op, on the other hand, thought about accepting FlashCash last October, but found it to be a costly investment.

“We would have had to buy a new credit card machine to work with FlashCards and give the university a percentage of the sales,” said Elizabeth Ryan, co-owner of the co-op.

The credit card machine would have cost over $500 and about 20 percent of all sales made with FlashCash would have been paid to the university, Ryan said.

“We’re a little co-op and can’t afford to do that,” Ryan said. “We didn’t think it would bring in enough business to cover initial costs.”

Contact off-campus reporter FlashCash can take an ordinary FlashCard, a simple device that can be used as an on-campus meal card, and turn in into a spending device that can be used at over 40 locations on and off campus.

Contact off-campus reporter Sean Joseph at [email protected].