More than a workout

Will Cleary

Rec center offers exercise equipment and more

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center, built in 1999, offers numerous amenities and services to the Kent State community.

Credit: Beth Rankin

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center, also known as “the Rec,” is more than just a gym.

This 153,000 square-foot building is located on Summit Street, across from small group. Parking is available for all valid permits except Stadium and Summit East.

Built in 1999, the SRWC features two pools, a whirlpool and sauna; a cardiovascular fitness area; a climbing wall; weight room; sports arena; an indoor track; racquetball courts; basketball courts; a multi-purpose gym and more. These features are free for students taking five or more credit hours, but other features may have additional costs. Students only have to present their student ID to get in.

Membership for community and family members is also available for a fee. Guests can purchase a one-day pass with a valid ID.

During the fall semester, the SRWC will be open from 6 a.m. until midnight, Monday through Thursday; 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday; and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

SRWC members can take advantage of three floors of equipment. The top floor of the SRWC is a 1/6 mile-long suspended running track with several fitness machines.

The main level is where students will find the Pro Shop, seminar rooms, dance studio and The Summit Street Café.

The lower level is where most of the fitness equipment is located. More that 100 pieces of equipment are available. The racquetball courts, the sports arena, two additional studios, the multi-purpose gym and the pools are also on the lower level.

Equipment like basketballs and ab balls can be borrowed from the Equipment Issue Desk on the lower level.

Climbing Wall

The indoor climbing wall is 40-foot high with more than 2,500 square feet of climbing surface. Adventure Coordinator Adam Matisko said a climbing class is offered for $15 for members. The climbing wall is open from 4 to 10 p.m. during the week and 2 to 8 p.m. on weekends. The cost for a trial climb is $4.

Junior communications major Justin Ulichney said, “I like paying a couple of bucks to try out the wall. It’s fun and it’s available right here.”

Classes Offered

The SRWC has plenty of instructional classes, but most require a pre-registration. Members can experience everything from kick-boxing to power step classes for their fitness workout. Schedules are posted next to the Equipment Issue Desk on the lower level and most of the classes are free to members.

For instructional classes, martial arts and hip-hop dancing are two popular options offered at the SRWC. However, members will have to pay an additional fee. Program schedules are posted in the Pro Shop.

Wellness Coordinator Pepsi Hutton suggested taking a yoga or Pilates class to help stay fit.

“Instructional classes are a fun way to get a workout,” Hutton said.

Students can take advantage of a demo week, which is offered at the beginning of each semester and allows people to try some of the classes for free.

Club and intramural sports

Members looking to stay fit and relieve stress may also be interested in joining an intramural sport like flag football, basketball or softball.

Erin Wenrich, junior hospitality management major, said she has played intramural soccer.

“I usually go to the Rec when I’m on some kind of health kick,” Wenrich said. “But intramurals are a fun way to keep me exercising.”

There are many types of club sports such as competitive, recreational, special event and fitness/martial arts. Visit the Web site for more information on joining or starting a new team.

Competitive club sports, including hockey and dodge ball, compete against other schools. Recreational sports, like badminton or golf, use campus space and compete against each other. Clubs like Dragon Kung Fu are part of the fitness/martial arts category, while special event clubs take outdoor trips, including backpacking and skydiving.

Café and Pro Shop

The Summit Street Café offers a place to grab a quick bite while on the go. Salads, pizza, and energy bars are some of the snacks available. The Café accepts Flashcash, but it closes an hour before the SRWC does. The Pro Shop offers products that students might need, such as deodorant, as well as Kent State apparel. Students may also register for instructional classes and events at the Pro Shop.

For more information, visit the Web site at www.recservices.kent.edu or call (330) 672-4REC.

Contact student recreation and wellness reporter Will Cleary at [email protected].