Student Center Lower Level offers amenities

Ben Breier

When people think of a basement, images are oftentimes conjured of mildew, old plastic toys from 10 years ago and bugs scurrying around all over the place. Thankfully, this isn’t the case with the basement located beneath the Student Center — it’s one of the most interesting places on campus.

The basement is split into two separate sections — the first being an Internet café and coffee-house. Jazzman’s Coffee is located in the basement to serve those looking for caffeine to get them through a cram session, or to satisfy those who want to stop in and grab an iced mocha between classes.

Brianna Keihle, junior music education major, enjoys a lot of things about Jazzman’s.

“It has a very calm, laid-back atmosphere that I have found to be great for studying, or even relaxing with a good book,” said Keihle.

The atmosphere isn’t the only thing that makes Jazzman’s great. Senior history major Demetrius White enjoys the fact that Jazzman’s accommodates students during finals periods.

“It’s nice that Jazzman’s is open all night during finals week,” said White.

Jazzman’s is typically open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday. Jazzman’s is closed on the weekend, so if you’re looking for a weekend coffee fix, you’ll have to take your addiction off campus.

Tucked away behind Jazzman’s is the Cyber Café, complete with several useful amenities. There are a dozen computer terminals for students to use either for studying purposes or simply to check their e-mail. For those with laptops, the Cyber Café features several Ethernet ports for broadband Internet access.

For students simply looking to take a break, the Cyber Café can also be of service. In addition to the lounge area featuring several comfortable chairs and couches, the café also has a few pool tables and a big-screen television for students to enjoy during the day. As if that weren’t enough, board games are available behind the counter, and you can even send outgoing mail through the post office, located next to Jazzman’s.

Across from the Cyber Café is the Rathskeller sports bar. Students looking to get a bite to eat can swing into the Rathskeller to enjoy some Pete’s Arena pizza. While the restaurants in the Hub up above will not allow you to use your meal plan from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Pete’s Arena will accept your meal plan anytime.

While dining on pizza, students will enjoy several televisions, arcade games, pool tables and NTN trivia. There’s also a place for students to smoke in the Rathskeller, in addition to a bar (you must be 21 to drink, of course, unless you have expertly crafted false identification) for those students seeking to drown their Calculus woes among barley and hops.

“Pete’s is just a good place to talk and chill,” said White, an avid fan of the Rathskeller.

Whether studying, eating or unwinding after a long day of classes, the Student Center Lower Level has plenty to offer.

Contact general assignment reporter Ben Breier at [email protected].