Blockbuster deals

Kali Price

Local theatres, drive-ins make movie night more affordable, fun

Cars wait in line to get into the Ravenna Midway Drive-In on Saturday evening.

Credit: Beth Rankin

Nationwide summer box office sales this year are slumping lower than last summer.

“Business has been slower,” said Sam Gearhart, a 19-year-old employee at the Kent Plaza Theatre.

Fewer movies have been released this year than last, but that doesn’t mean big blockbusters haven’t come through Kent or will still open this summer.

Midway Twin Drive-In

Drive-in theatres may seem like a thing of the past, but not in Ravenna. The still-popular Midway Twin Drive-In theatre on state Route 59 in Ravenna is an easy, fun way to enjoy two feature films in one night.

The theatre has two screens, each showing two feature films every night over the summer.

The cost for two films is $15 per car load. You can bring all the friends, food and drinks as you can fit in your car and enjoy a cheap movie night.

Kent Plaza Theatres

The closest movie theatre to campus, the Kent Plaza Theatre has 10 screens, bringing the newest movies to Kent every week. The hotter months boast promising titles.

“Summer is a better time to see movies,” Gearhart said.

Summer movies make the perfect dates or family outings, said Angie Bushong, an incoming freshman and employee at Kent Plaza Theatre.

Matinee showings before 6 p.m. cost only $5 for adults. Tickets for children and seniors cost $5 daily.

After 6 p.m., adult tickets are $7.

During the fall and spring semesters, tickets are $5 on Monday and Tuesday nights with a student ID.

Kent Plaza Theatre is located at 140 Cherry St., off of state Route 43, and is a part of the University Plaza.

Regal Cinemas Hudson Cinema 10

Another theater close to campus is the Regal Cinemas in Hudson on 5339 Darrow Road.

The Hudson Cinema costs $6 for adults before 6 p.m. and $8.25 after that.

Discount Drug Mart on Main Street also sells tickets for $6.50 for all Regal Cinemas.

AMC Plaza 8 at Chapel Hill

The AMC Plaza 8 offers one of the best discounts for students. With a student ID, any evening show costs only $5.50.

For non-students, a matinee show before 6 p.m. costs $5.50. An evening show costs $7.50 for adults.

The AMC Plaza 8 is located at 500 Howe Ave. in Cuyahoga Falls.

Contact general assignment reporter Kali Price at [email protected].