Associate director of Campus Life wins Distinguished Woman Award

Shelley Blundell

Ann Gosky, associate director of Campus Life, was the winner of this year’s Distinguished Woman Award, presented annually by the Professional Women of Kent State University.

The award was first given in 1998 to honor women who the association feels have made significant contributions to the Kent State community and whose achievements have made them significant role models.

“In general, we look for women that have given great service to Kent State and the university community as a whole,” said Rachel Anderson, co-president of the Professional Women of Kent State University. “They are women who have been integral in leadership roles benefiting women.”

According to Gosky’s nominations, Gosky exceeds all the criteria for the award.

“She is a creative thinker and an activity-oriented woman,” said Connie Dubick, associate director of Student Financial Aid.

Karen Clement, chair of this year’s awards committee, described the choice of this year’s winner as a difficult one but said as each criterion was discussed, Gosky’s name came up over and over again.

Gosky described the award as a great surprise and honor.

“I never did any of this alone — I always did it with the help of dedicated students, faculty and staff members,” Gosky said.

“I love each day of work, mostly because of the students and people I work with,” she said. “It makes each day a joy, and it keeps me young.”

According to the organization’s “Spotlight on Excellence” pamphlet, Gosky began working for Kent State nearly 25 years ago in Residence Services.

Throughout her time at the university, she has made significant contributions to the establishment and success of different university projects and programs. Recently, she was instrumental in the development of the Leadership Certificate, recognized by the university as an academic certificate in leadership studies and field experiences.

She has also helped redesign the university’s new student orientation program, as well as assisted in the development of the New Parent Association for parents of new students.

Gosky also implemented a women’s speaker series as part of the Women’s Leadership Initiative.

Along with various university achievements, Gosky is involved in the greater community. She serves on the advisory board for the King-Kennedy Community Center and gets involved in many community service projects with both university students and community residents.

“I truly appreciate the wonderful individuals I’ve had the opportunity to work with,” Gosky said.

The award is open to active and former employees of the university, and Gosky was one of 11 nominees for the award.

Contact general assignment reporter Shelley Blundell at [email protected].