Comedians joke about race, terrorism to Muslim students

Katie Greenwald

(Right to left) Tasnim Shahjanan, Hafsa Tariq and Hira Tariq laugh at the comedy of “Allah Made Me Funny” in the Auditorium yesterday.

Credit: Andrew popik

Azeem is going to ask for a pole and a tip the next time he goes to the airport. He is a black Muslim who says he is asked to strip down to his “skimpies” at security every time he travels.

“You can’t be afraid of the terrorists,” he said. “As Muslims, the only one you’re supposed to be afraid of is Allah.”

Azeem was one of the nationally famous comedians who spoke at the Auditorium last night as part of the “Allah Made Me Funny” tour.

The room was packed with Muslims and non-Muslims alike who let out laugh after laugh at jokes about such subjects as racism and terrorism.

The show, which was scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., started at about 7:30, and many audience members arrived closer to 8 p.m.

This is because Pakistani people are always late, said Azar Usman, another comedian.

“‘On time’ does not even exist in our country,” he said. “We are the people who have the same word for yesterday and tomorrow.”

He wants people to know Muslims are peaceful people.

“We’re not all big, tough, scary-looking guys and girls that prey all the time. We like to laugh, too,” he said. “We have mics instead of guns.”

But both comedians agree they have been negatively profiled.

Azeem said in a recent survey, most Americans said they believe the biggest crime black people commit is stealing.

“White people steal, too,” he said. “How else do you think we got here?”

Usman said he is more often profiled as a terrorist than a thief.

“People look at me as if I was responsible for 9/11. Can you believe that? Me responsible for 9/11? 7-Eleven maybe,” he said.

The event was sponsored by the Muslim Students Association, who received more than $10,000 from the Undergraduate Student Senate to put it on, said association secretary Ameir Ali.

Ali said the Muslim Student Association doesn’t usually ask the USS for allocations, and this is the biggest event it has ever put on.

He said they plan to hold another big event every year, and the proceeds from last night’s performance will be given to a charity.

Muslim Student Association meets at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in room 316 of the Student Center. To join, students can send an e-mail to president Aman Ali, who is also a columnist for the Daily Kent Stater, at [email protected].

But remember, Muslims are usually late, said Usman.

Contact finance reporter Katie Greenwald at [email protected].