Faculty Senate re-elects Dowd

Rachel Abbey

The Faculty Senate held elections for its 2005-2006 Executive Committee officers yesterday.

E. Thomas Dowd was re-elected as chair of the Senate.

“I want to make a difference both for the Senate and the university,” said Dowd, a psychology professor.

A lot of what was started this year remains unfinished, such as the harassment policy, studies regarding the curricular review process and the Senate’s adjustment to a new office, Dowd said. He wants to keep his position to see these through the upcoming year.

It takes at least seven months to gain the skills necessary for the chair position, Dowd said, and he wanted the opportunity to put this year’s experience to work.

The Senate elected Mary Stansbury, library and information science associate professor, as vice chair; Tom Janson, music professor, as secretary; and Tish Soper, technology assistant professor, as at-large member.

Biology professor Brent Bruot presented a report from the commission reviewing the curricular process. The commission examined the process to revise the curriculum, and it offered recommendations to speed up the process and create less paperwork, Bruot said.

The highest priority is to make curriculum changes entirely electronic, Bruot said. Another important recommendation is the creation of an advising committee to discuss issues such as security and work flow. Bruot said the commission would like to see this committee in place by the end of this academic year.

Another option to aid the ease of curricular changes would push back deadlines when final changes are due, Bruot said. The installation of an entirely electronic process would remove the time necessary for paperwork, adding approximately two to three weeks. Also, the commission recommended consideration of moving the start of the PASS program from Feb. 1 to March 1.

The report will return to the Senate next month for a vote of approval.

In other business, the Senate also discussed the state budget, revisions of workshops at the university and concerns about enrollment and retention.

Contact academics reporter Rachel Abbey at [email protected].