Students learn many way to enhance their global perspective

Carrie Scully

Credit: Andrew popik

Sure, taking a trip to the moon offers a great “global perspective,” but it’s not the type of perspective today’s employers are looking for.

What employers are looking for is a global state of mind, said Michael Barnes, chair person in global business studies at Kent State.

Global thinking and being internationally aware are some of the skills employers feel prospective hires lack when it comes to being prepared for a job in today’s industries, Barnes said.

Ken Cushner, executive director of International Affairs, said the ability to think globally is multidimensional and critical to the security of our nation and the development of careers.

“Thinking globally consists of understanding that people have deeply held values, not just perspectives,” he said, adding that it’s essential for every business person to understand.

“All business is global business today,” said Don Williams, associate dean of the College of Business Administration.

No matter what field of work, everyone should have a global perspective, Cushner said.

“Everybody needs to think globally. You have to find the international dimension in what you do,” he said. “Adopt multiple perspectives and see the world from somebody else’s point of view.”

There are many ways students can enhance their global perspective, Cushner said.

Marie Steiner, international relations student, studied abroad in Geneva, Switzerland, and said the experiences are “eye-opening.”

“It’s about getting a different perspective and understanding how we are alike and different,” Steiner said. “It really gets you out of the American bubble.”

Nick Hanna, graduate student in translation, studied abroad in Dresden, Germany, and said his international experiences have taught him a lot.

The College of Business Administration is also working toward developing a Global Management Center.

“The No. 1 purpose is to prepare our students for the real world,” Barnes said. “Global studies is interdisciplinary, crosses over many stove pipes and is not a particular trade. It’s knowing a little something about everything.”

Contact College of Business Administration reporter Carrie Scully at [email protected].