Commemorating Presidents Day

Kent State’s Undergraduate Student Government speaks on Presidents Day. 

The third Monday in February has once again rolled around – time to celebrate Presidents’ Day. Although Kent State didn’t get the day off, some students still took the opportunity to celebrate.

“I think it’s something that we should celebrate as citizens of the United States,” says Connor Meehan, a junior Finance major. “It’s important to recognize our government who’s in charge, our president who’s supposed to be our leader, somebody all Americans look to.”

Undergraduate Student Government’s Director of Governmental Affairs Tiera Moore says, “I think it is good to honor our leaders who have made great changes in our history.”

Moore said one president who inspired her is 44th president Barack Obama.

“As a person of color, it was amazing to see somebody who looked like me in that office”, and “to see you know the first black president that’s just like crazy, and so historical” says Moore. 

President Obama’s tenure in office is what inspired Moore to get involved with Undergraduate Student Government. She says that many people feel like they may not succeed or be welcomed because of their gender, economic background, or the color of their skin. 

But, Moore says, “I want to show them that no you can do this, it’s for everybody and we can make a big difference on this campus.”

Shaquiena Davis is a TV2 reporter. Contact her at [email protected].