Men’s basketball unloads for 91 points in second-straight win

KSU Athletics

Bowling Green Carry

Jacob Hansen, Reporter

Kent’s State’s basketball team’s offense made the difference this time in a 91-83 victory over Bowling Green.

Kent State improves to 11-9 on the year and 6-4 in the Mid-American Conference.

KSU is in fourth place in the MAC. The Falcons (4-6 MAC, 11-10 overall) are tied for seventh.

The Flashes are typically known for their defense, but the offense was the difference maker Saturday.

“It was certainly good to see the ball go through the basket,” coach Rob Senderoff said. “To score the way we did, that helps us for sure.”

However, the first half didn’t go that way. KSU was down in the first half 37-33.

Shots were not falling for the Flashes, who were shooting 39 percent (13-33) and 20 percent (2-10) from behind the arc.

“We turned the ball over too much in the first half,” Senderoff said. “We fouled too much in the first half, and they got into too many transitions, so in the second half we had to stick with what we are doing and clean the defense up a little.”

Kent State’s offense unloaded for 58 points in the second half.

Redshirt junior guard Sincere Carry couldn’t seem to miss. Carry finished the night with 30 points, seven assists and four rebounds. Carry also added two steals and a block to his statline.

Carry wasn’t the only one that couldn’t seem to miss in the second half.

Kent State shot 64 percent (20-31) and 58 percent (7-12) from the three-point line in the second half.

Redshirt freshman forward VonCameron Davis had a big game making some clutch threes late in the second half. Davis had 17 points and seven rebounds on the night.

“[Davis] made some huge shots,” Senderoff said. “An unbelievable play in transition, where they were about to get a layup and he rotated over, made one of their guys miss and grabbed the defensive rebound from them.”

Redshirt junior guard Malique Jacobs finished with another double-double. He had 11 points, seven assists, 11 rebounds and two blocks.

The Flashes had multiple double-digit scores yet again, with graduate student guard Andrew Garcia finishing with 13 points to make it four Kent State players with double-digit points.

“The more balanced we are offensively, the harder it is for other teams to key in on just two guys,” Senderoff said. “Malique and Sincere are going to be the top two guys on everyone’s scouting report, so that is going to leave opportunities for other guys.”

Kent State will look to keep the momentum going when the team travels to take on Miami University (3-5, 9-10), which is tied for ninth, on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Jacob Hansen is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].