Trumbull campus welcomes new dean for spring semester

R. William (Bill) Ayres IV is the new dean for the spring 2022 semester at Kent State Universitys Trumbull Campus.

Courtesy of Kent State University Trumbull

R. William (Bill) Ayres IV is the new dean for the spring 2022 semester at Kent State University’s Trumbull Campus.

Trent Blackburn Reporter

Kent State Trumbull started the spring semester with a new dean who wants to make an impact. R. William Ayres IV not only wants to make an impact on those inside the classroom but individuals in the community, through partnerships with local organizations, schools and learning centers.

Ayres, a former professor of political science at the University of Toledo, will be replacing Daniel Palmer who was interim dean for 2019 and 2020. Ayres was previously the associate dean and interim dean of Wright State Graduate School. This is the seventh institution he has been a part of since receiving his MA and Ph.D. at The Ohio State University in political science.   

Ayres is especially excited to join a student-first environment on a campus that has an enrollment of more than 2200 students.

“As I was looking for new opportunities, I was particularly looking for institutions that have a sense of mission that puts students first and puts students at the center,” Ayres said. “To have these regional campuses where you’re saying, ‘We’re going to take this amazing thing we have in Kent and we’re going to put it out here within reach of people who otherwise don’t have access to higher education.’ … That’s the most important mission.”

Ayres looks forward to becoming part of the Trumbull community and extending Kent State Trumbull’s outreach to local communities to offer more opportunities for higher education to students who may have not had that chance before.

“A big part of my job is getting out in the community and seeing what else can we do,” Ayres said. “Where else can we partner with folks, listen to what their needs are … and how do we bring this together?” Ayres said.

Trent Blackburn is a Reporter. Contact him at [email protected].