CCI creates three-week study abroad course at Florence campus

The pandemic halted the study abroad experience for international relations students, but educational travel slowly makes a come back.

Chong Chen Reporter

The College of Communication and Information first-ever intersession course in Florence will give students an immersive experience while working to think creatively to turn ideas into deliverable stories.

The three-week course “From Ideas to Stories: Storytelling in Tuscany” will be taught by CCI alumnus and award-winning documentary filmmaker Tom Jennings and CCI Florence program coordinator Fabio Corsini from May 16 to June 6.

“Where do the story ideas come from? How do you turn your ideas into documentary films or something tangible? These are the overall views of the course,” Jennings said.

This session will be more intense and focused than the whole-semester study abroad programs.  

The course will help develop students’ ability to generate ideas for media, communicate content and work on ideas that would be relevant to their major, said Miriam Matteson, the interim associate dean of CCI.

Classes will be held Monday through Thursday, with Friday being a floating day for individual one on one or a screening of a film.  

Lectures, discussions and guest speakers will be part of the class. In addition, the most important feature of the course is that students will be able to go out and explore Florence.

“Visiting local churches, museums and exhibitions of Gucci and other Italian brands are all considered,” Corsini said.

CCI’s arrangement is intended to stimulate students’ divergent thinking through different learning environments.

“This opportunity will allow students to be deeply immersed in Italian culture,” Matteson said. “Students could take advantage of inspiration from delicious local food and beautiful buildings, while having access to culture, art museums and fashion and applying these into their ideas.”

The application for this program will close on Feb 18. It is open to all CCI undergraduate students having a 2.0 GPA. 

Chong Chen is a Reporter. Contact her at [email protected].