Women’s track and field team dominates in field events at Tune-Up

Kristyn Hibbett Sports reporter

The women’s track and field team competed in the Kent State Tune-Up this weekend. The team had many top finishes in multiple events, but dominated in the field events.

The Flashes took first place in pole vault and high jump. Senior Ally Thompson took first place in pole vault with a jump of 3.72m. Freshman Lillie Franks had a jump of 1.70m to secure her first place spot in the high jump. 

Junior Alyssa Matheny placed third in high jump with a jump of 1.65m. Another junior, Desiree Thomas, had a jump of 1.60m and finished in fifth.

In shot put, junior Grace Tennant got second place with a throw of 16.04m. Junior Adelaide Aquilla from Ohio State got first place with a throw of 16.17m. Sophomore Gabby Bailey finished in fourth place with a throw of 15.45m. 

Kent State had four finishes within the top 10 in weight throw. Redshirt freshman Grace Luther finished in fourth with a throw of 17.05m. Freshman Marissa Henley had a throw of 16.03m to put her in seventh place. Redshirt freshman Briana Wright had a throw of 15.52m which put her in eighth place, followed by redshirt freshman Drew Robinson with 15.45m. 

In the women’s 400m dash, Ruby Greenwood finished in second with a time of 57.36. Brynn Santos had a time of 59.01 and finished in fourth. 

Benja Duff’s time in the 60m hurdles was 9.03, while Melina Owens had a time of 9.21. Duff finished in second place and Owens finished in sixth place.

Kristyn Hibbett is a sports reporter. Contact her at