Best place to take your family to recreate

Hannah Keil, Reporter

Beckwiths’ Orchard is located at 1617 Lake Rockwell Road in Kent, Ohio.  (Eman Abu-Khalas)

FIRST: Beckwiths’ Apple Orchard:

Family-owned and operated Beckwiths’ Orchards opened in 1878, and its popularity has only increased over the years.

Although they are only open from July until late fall, the Kent community makes the most of the time it is available.

Whether it’s shopping at the gift shop, enjoying a pastry or taking a walk through the orchard, there is something to do for everyone.

According to the website, the produce selection is seasonal, so make sure you plan your trip accordingly to get the most out of your visit.

A family explores an area around a small waterfall in Nelson Ledge Quarry Park. (Savannah Monks)

SECOND: Nelson Ledges State Park:

Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park might be a favorite for Kent State students, but there is something for people of all ages to explore.

According to the Ohio State Department of Natural Resources, this state park includes “rugged cliffs, waterfalls, and natural landscape” and contains formations such as “Devil’s Icebox, Indian Pass and Old Maid’s Kitchen.”

There are four different hiking trails of varying difficulties to choose from, and tables and grills are provided for picnics.

Originally an area important to Native American tribes, the park gained state protection in 1940 and has been a popular vacation spot ever since.

Towner’s Woods is a local park located at 2264 Ravenna Road in Kent, Ohio. It has hiking trails that surround Lake Pippen. (Savannah Monks)

THIRD: Towner’s Woods:

Opened to the public in 1975, Towner’s Woods comprises over 234 acres of recreational areas for the Kent community.

According to the Portage County website, Towner’s Woods offers “cross-country skiing, hiking, nature & historic appreciation, picnicking, sledding” and more to visitors.

The park feaures nine walking trails, including an Americans with Disabilities Act accessible trail.

Visitors can stop by the information kiosk before enjoying a day under a gazebo or out in a field.

Hannah Keil is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].