Kent State sorority invites community to “Pie-A-Tri”

Julianna Garganta, Reporter

Despite the cold of a spring day, the members of Tri Sigma stood outside, faces ready to be hit by a cool pie in a tin, to raise money in support of March of Dimes and the Tri Sigma Foundation April 4.

March of Dimes is an organization geared toward supporting moms and their babies. The organization provides education, leads programming and advocates for policies that prioritize the health of families.

Junior fashion merchandising major Katelyn Pepper is “pied” by her sorority sister, senior early childhood education major Rachel Siemer. (Julianna Garganta)

For a price, supporters could smash a Reddi-Wip filled pie tin in the faces of the Sigma sisters. Tri Sigma raised $544 at the “Pie-A-Tri” fundraiser, and they have raised approximately $21,000 this year according to Tri Sigma’s president, junior biology major Erin Hawkins.

“I want to be a doctor, so it is very cool to make a difference in my undergraduate years knowing that I am raising money for a real important cause and to be a part of something that is just bigger than me,” Hawkins said.

Philanthropy and service is one of the four pillars of Greek life at Kent State, and these fundraisers serve more purpose than raising money for a good cause. Hawkins said philanthropy plays a huge role in creating ways for the fraternities and sororities to support each other.

Senior early childhood education major Rachel Siemer said fundraising events have humbled her and made her a better role model within the sorority.

Tri Sigma president junior biology major Erin Hawkins is “pied” by freshman speech pathology and audiology major Lily Markovitz. (Julianna Garganta)

“It is a good way to raise money for our philanthropy, and this certain cause is very, very important,” Siemer said.

Senior architecture major Josie Estlock was excited to take her turn at throwing a pie.

“It is a Monday afternoon, and what not a better way to spend it than at a fundraiser getting to throw a pie in my friends’ faces,” Estlock said.

Julianna Garganta is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].