Cleveland Bagel Company to open in old Starbucks on Main Street


Matthew Brown

The Cleveland Bagel Cafe resides in the old “Cottage Starbucks.”

Troy Pierson, General Assignment Editor

A new location for the Cleveland Bagel Company will soon occupy the old Starbucks at the corner of Lincoln and Main streets in Kent. The cafe will continue a long-standing history of cafes and restaurants that used to occupy the Tudor- style building.

Designed in the 1920s by Kent’s first licensed architect, Charles G. Kistler, the building originally hosted the Robinhood Tea Room, which opened its doors in 1927. Over the decades, the building has changed hands to become Capt’n Brady’s Cafe and most recently, a Starbucks.

The cafe joins Cleveland Bagel Company’s roster of 20 locations across the Cleveland area. Founders Dan Herbst and Geoff Hardman launched the company in 2013 and established their first retail location in Ohio City in 2016.

Since then, the company has expanded in size and now houses locations in cities such as Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, Oberlin and Vermilion. The company was recently rated among the 25 best restaurants in Cleveland by Cleveland Magazine.

The Bagel company’s menu includes seven bagels: plain, everything, sea salt, rosemary with sea salt, poppy seed, sesame seed and cinnamon cranberry. The cafes also offer a variety of schmears, add-ons and sandwich combinations.

Troy Pierson is general assignment editor. Contact him at [email protected]