Leaving behind a legacy: E. Timothy Moore

Asha Blake

In the Malcom X lounge, there is a long mural dedicated to Malcolm X and many other prominent figures in the Black community. This art piece was one of the sights for the alumni group to view.

Asha Blake, Assistant Photo Editor

The late E. Timothy Moore, former associate dean emeritus in the College of Arts and Sciences and associate professor emeritus in the department of Pan-African Studies, impacted many Kent State alumni and students.

He passed away on Feb. 1, 2021, unexpectedly due to a tear in the major artery coming out of his heart.

While he has physically passed, his legacy stands as many still remember the contributions that he made to both the university and Oscar Ritchie Hall.

To honor his life, the Black Alumni Chapter had a tribute to Moore on Friday. This event consisted of speeches, reunions and celebrations.

Mwatabu Okantah, the department chair of Africana Studies, started off the program by calling on the ancestors and watering a plant to honor them. “When we say our ancestors names, that keeps them alive in our hearts,” Okantah said. (Asha Blake)

The guest speakers included: Mwatabu S. Okantah, department chair of Africana Studies, Tameka Ellington, CEO and founder of the First Generation Revolutionaries, Silas Ashley, president of the Black Alumni Chapter, and many more individuals who spoke about Oscar Ritchie Hall and Moore’s long-lasting impact.

Alumni members as well as Moore’s family came to represent him and see the work he created in the building. To do so, individuals went on a self-guided tour to admire the paintings and creations made by him.

Some of his family members spoke to the group during the tour. Candace Garton-Mullen, Moore’s daughter, spoke first.

“Even though the building is different, it’s really incredible that his legacy is still here,” she said.

Elliot Moore, Moore’s son, then recalled a memory he had with his dad.

“My sister and I grew up here and our dad really included us in his process of warming up every environment he was in,” he said.

The family members were grateful to the people that came in honor of Moore.

After the tour of the artwork in the building, guests were welcomed to stay for the program where each speaker got a chance to share their personal memories and moments of Moore. A few individuals cried during the program due to the impact he had on them.

Ashley explained to the group how Moore’s legacy lives on through other students.

Omega Psi Phi members came to celebrate Moore’s life. Moore was a part of the fraternity and created a bond with many of its members. (Asha Blake)

“He was a part and is a part of this campus,” Ashley said.

He also talked about how the Student Multicultural Center will be renamed the E. Timothy Moore Student Multicultural Center to honor Moore for all that he did during his time at the university.

The center will be renamed after a 2002 Kent State graduate, D’Andra Mull, donated $50,000 for this name change.

Other guests spoke highly about Moore and many described him as a man with integrity.

“Timmy was a rare person. He had very rare qualities. He was creative and analytical at the same time,” said Bill Forrester Sr., Moore’s Omega Psi Phi fraternity brother.

The program ended in a prayer and Moore’s widow, Debra “DeLacy” Moore, thanked the group for attending.

“There’s a lot of love in this room and we thank you for being here with us because it’s been hard,” she said.

As the program ended at Oscar Ritchie Hall, the group headed over to Black Wolf for a social gathering where 75 percent of the ticket sales will support the E. Timothy Moore Scholarship.

Asha Blake is assistant photo editor. Contact her at [email protected]