LGBTQ+ Center hosts 7th annual Rainbow Run

Maggie Harris

(From left to right) Students Zee Ringler (He/They) and Sienna Jepsen (She/Her) show their pride and prepare to race in last year’s “Rainbow Run” 5k.

Maggie Harris, Reporter

Kent State’s rainbow road led to Risman Plaza where the finish line of the annual Rainbow Run stood proudly.

The University’s LGBTQ+ Center hosted the 7th annual Rainbow Run Friday. The race is a fundraising event to help LGBTQ+ students who are facing financial crisis achieve their graduation goals.

The 7th annual Rainbow Run raised $5,000. Over the past 7 years, the event has raised over $23,000 for LGBTQ+ students in need.

The runners were supported by the 40+ volunteers who passed out rainbow accessories and showed their support to the cause.

The Rainbow Run reflects the community support within Kent State University,

“Two years in a row on the best of the best list for campus pride, which I think is a fitting recognition for a welcoming campus that we try to be,” said Kent State President Todd Diacon.

The University has been named one of the most LGBTQ+ friendly colleges in America, according to Campus Pride, a non-profit organization.

The runners and volunteers showed their support by wearing pride accessories. Diacon was unable to participate in this year’s run, but he showed his support by dressing up as Elvis with a rainbow stole.

Maggie Harris is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].