First place women’s golf ‘doing the right stuff’ in second-to-last fall tournament

Brady Hamilton, Reporter

With three golfers placing in the top six individually, the #20 Kent State women’s golf team won its first tournament of the season.

The Flashes finished first out of 15 teams in the Sunflower Invitational Monday and Tuesday, carding a 21-over 741.

“​​They really did a good job of focusing on each shot,” coach Casey VanDamme said. “Controlling what they control is a great mental approach to the tournament which had extremely difficult conditions. They did a good job hanging in there.”

Cold temperatures shortened Tuesday’s final round.

Senior Mayka Hoogeboom finished in first place for the second time this season. She carded a 2-over 182.

In her team’s first tournament of the season, Hoogeboom won the event with an 8-under 208. Her best score was 65 in the second round.

“She’s doing a great job with her mental approach and mental game this year,” VanDamme said.

Sophomore Jennifer Gu, last season’s MAC freshman of the year, finished second with a three-over 183. Senior Noramol Nuchsila tied for sixth overall with a 6-over 186.

Last season, all three women won all-conference honors and placed in the top 20 in the MAC championships.

“I’m just excited for the ladies,” VanDamme said. “They’ve been doing a good job, and it’s great when they get to see results. Sometimes in golf, you can play your best and not win, sometimes you can play not your best and still win. They’ve done a good job this fall, and they keep seeing results. They’ve been doing the right stuff and it’s rewarding as a coach to see.”

The Flashes play their final tournament of the fall season Monday and Tuesday at the Hurricane Invitational in Coral Gables, Fla.

“They need to just keep doing how we normally prepare for a tournament,” VanDamme said. “We don’t worry about the results. We just try to do the right thing and prepare.”

Brady Hamilton is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]