Undergraduate Student Government’s first-ever Strategic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) plan passed

Grace Davies, Reporter

Undergraduate Student Government (USG) passed its first-ever Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) plan to increase diversification within USG and allow the student body to influence its direction.

The DEI Plan was the brainchild of Aiyana Ncube, the current Senator At Large for diversity, and Jenna Gilbreath, the current president of USG.

“We [Gilbreath and Ncube] definitely saw that our organization is not perfect,” Ncube said. “We wanted to create kind of a level of accountability for our diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.”

The plan is composed of several sections, the first three of which deal with administration lingo, similar Kent State organizations and definitions of the program’s key aspects.

Sections four through eight have USG’s steps to execute this plan:

“Foster an organizational climate where each member recognizes the interdependent nature of USG in creating a truly equitable and inclusive campus.”

“Evaluate organizational practices to develop an equitable and inclusive USG that prioritizes diverse perspectives.”

“Engage with the undergraduate student body in a way that fosters trust and creates an inclusive campus culture.”

The plan is not set in stone. Instead, it is a living document intended to be updated by future USG bodies based on student needs and suggestions.

Ncube has high hopes for the plan, both currently and in the future.

“I really hope that whoever picks up next year takes it and runs with it,” she said. “And when I come back as an alumni, I hope that I see USG is still doing it 10 years from now and it’s going so well.”

Grace Davies is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]