Freshman Corynne Hauser’s perfect first half gives women’s basketball its fourth-straight win

Jacob Hansen, Reporter

Coming off the bench, freshman guard Corynne Hauser scored a career-high 18 points Sunday and only missed four shots the entire game.

This “breakout” performance helped the Kent State women’s basketball team earn its 64-49 victory over St. Bonaventure.

“I was just playing more aggressive,” said Hauser, who has played in ever game this season. “I was taking what the defense was giving to me, and we had a lot of transition points. A lot of opportunities came from transition, and we were moving the ball pretty well on offense.”

Hauser finished with 18 points, two rebounds, two steals and one assist.

Back in the M.A.C Center after three weeks on the road, the Flashes are now 5-2. They are on a four-game winning streak.

“We’re obviously pleased with the win,” coach Todd Starkey said. “We would’ve liked to finish a little bit better, but overall I thought defensively we were really good for most of the game.”

St. Bonaventure fell to 2-7 on the year.

The Flashes did not trail once in the game and held the lead for 93.9% of the game.

Slow start to a dominating second quarter 

Kent State struggled early in the first quarter, going 0-for-3 from three-point range.

The Flashes then went  on a 6-0 run at the 4:27 mark in the first period, putting Kent State up 10-4.

KSU ended the first quarter with a 15-11 lead despite shooting the ball 5-for-13 from the field and 1-for-5 from three.

The Flashes defense came up with two steals and two blocks in the first quarter. St. Bonaventure shot 4-for-14 from the field and 1-for-5 from three.

In the second quarter, KSU improved to shooting 43.8%  from the field and 42.9% from behind the arc. Kent State ended the half on a 11-2 run and was up 38-20.

“Our second quarter was really good,” Starkey said. “We really executed well offensively in the second quarter and defensively I thought we were really solid.”

Hauser had totaled 12 points and a perfect line by halftime. She went 3-for-3 from the field, 2-for-2 from three and 4-for-4 from the free throw line. She added two rebounds, two steals and an assist.

“My teammates were getting me open,” Hauser said. “Cutting without the ball was a big part of it and being aggressive, as well.”

Senior guard Katie Shumate, who has led the team in shooting three games this season, said Hauser “sees the floor really well.”

“I have a ton of confidence in her scoring at all three levels,” Shumate said. “I hope she continues to be aggressive and go out there and do what she can do.”

Shumate had 11 points with four rebounds, one assist, one steal and one block by the half.

“When she is aggressive in a game, she is a lot to handle,” Starkey said. “It’s our job to get her the ball in the right spots too, so calling certain plays for her and getting the ball in certain positions on the floor helps her be aggressive.”

The Bonnies shot 30.8% from the field and 16.7% from three.

“Since summer, we have been stressing defense a lot,” Hauser said. ”That is one thing we are playing really well at right together. We are really connected on the floor and we are understanding each other more.”

One-sided second half

Kent State shot 7-for-17 from the field and 3-for-7 from three in the third quarter. The Bonnies improved shooting with a 41.7% 5-for-12 from the field and 3-of-5 from long-range.

KSU’s 19-point third quarter gave the team a 57-37 at the end of the quarter.

Shumate was the second leading-scorer with 15 points, six rebounds, two blocks, two steals and an assist.

“We have really been on her to be more aggressive,” Starkey said. “She has been pretty passive coming off of ball screens – people are going underneath, and if you can come off of the other ball screen and you’re not guarded, you have to shoot the basketball. She is a talented scorer.”

Junior guard Nadechka Laccen’s performance had a team-high 22 points with seven rebounds and five assists for the Bonnies.

St. Bonaventure shot 30.2% from the field in the game and 30.4% from behind the arc.

KSU forced 15 turnovers and had 10 steals in the game. Both teams were perfect from the free throw line.

“Ten steals is a lot for us, and anytime we get double-digits in steals that is a lot,” Starkey said. “I would like to convert it into more than 16 points. Points off of turnovers 16 to 15 turnovers is not really where we need to be, but the fact that we are turning them over, I thought that was good for us.”

The Flashes play Wednesday, 6 p.m. at Duquesne.

Duquesne is 6-2 and is led by junior forward Ayanna Townsend, who averages 14.3 points per game.

“We have a quick turnaround to go play Duquesne at Duquesne on Wednesday which will be a tough game,” Starkey said. “We have to work on some stuff and get better, but overall please with the win.”

Jacob Hansen is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]