Star wide receiver Dante Cephas enters transfer pool

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Dante Cephas, number 14, runs with the football during the homecoming football game against Bowling Green State University on Oct. 2, 2021. The Golden Flashes beat Bowling Green 27-20.

Jacob Hansen, Reporter

Kent State football team’s star wide receiver Dante Cephas entered the transfer portal Sunday. 

“First off, I want to thank God for the opportunity to be able to play college football, but to also play at Kent State,” Cephas said in a statement posted to his Twitter account. “I would like to show my appreciation to every coach on our coaching staff. I would like to thank Coach Lewis for giving me the chances he gave me.”

Cephas has received offers from Penn State University, the University of Notre Dame and the University of Oklahoma among others. 

Cephas comes off a 744-yard season. In his nine games played, he scored three touchdowns with 48 receptions. Cephas sat out five games with an injury.

Kent State wide receiver Dante Cephas runs toward the end zone for a touchdown after catching a Dustin Crum pass in the first quarter of the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl game in Boise, Idaho on Dec. 21, 2021. (Photo courtesy of Bob Christy/Kent State University)

He broke Kent State’s single-game record for receiving yards in a game against Ohio University Oct. 1st with 13 receptions for 246 yards. 

Cephas has been named to the All-MAC First Team twice and exits as Kent State’s third all-time leading receiver with 2,139 career receiving yards in his four collegiate years. 

He is fourth all-time in receptions for Kent State with 145 and is tied for seventh place in all-time touchdowns with three other KSU players. 

“To my teammates who are forever my brothers, I want to thank everyone of you as well for the years we spent,” Cephas said in a statement. “However after long talks with my family and people close to me, I will be entering the transfer portal with two years of eligibility left.”

This news came less than one day before Kent State football coach Sean Lewis was said to be leaving for the University of Colorado, as reported by Pete Thamel, a college football senior writer from ESPN.

Jacob Hansen is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].