OPINION: Juggling part-time hobbies as a full-time college student

Courtesy of Elsa Howell

Junior psychology student Finn Mroz-Roakes played in his high school band called Snapping Turtlenecks.

Grace Clarke, Opinion Writer

Classes all week, band rehearsal at night and a gig on the weekend: being an entertainer is not an easy task when having the lifestyle of a full-time college student.

Attending college is a full-time job in itself. Regularly having to attend classes while juggling homework and exams is no easy feat. It’s what a student signs up for when attending a university – but that does not mean they should have to sacrifice their interests and hobbies.

On average, a college student only has about three to five hours a day of free time with an expected 25-30 hours of dedicated time for schoolwork. Many students find it hard to have time to do the things they love, whether it be painting, drawing, skating or music. Hobbies like these suffer in college.

Before forming a band in college, Mroz-Roakes had experience as a lead singer and guitarist for his high school band. (Courtesy of Sara Stewart)

For junior psychology student Finn Mroz-Roakes, he has felt like something had been missing from his life since attending college. Mroz-Roakes was the lead singer and guitarist for his high school band, The Snapping Turtlenecks, where he spent years making and playing music for crowds in his hometown of Roanoke, Virginia.

Due to his move to Kent and moving on to his college career, The Snapping Turtlenecks came to an end. Now in his third year at Kent State University, he is finally trying to get back to his love for performing.

“I’ve been wanting to find a space to rehearse, but it’s hard when you’re not a music major,” Mroz-Roakes said. “You don’t have the same accessibility and space as they would have. Especially being stuck in a college dorm or apartment, there’s not much opportunity to set up speakers and rehearse.”

Now after starting a new band titled Scarlet Wednesday with Kent State junior David Favorito, they struggle to find time to rehearse and a space to perform and showcase their talent.

“Balancing my time is the hardest thing,” Favorito said. “Sometimes venues will contact me last minute asking me to perform, but I’ll have to decline whether it’s because of classes or work. It’s hard to live out my dream right now.”

Junior David Favorito performs a solo act. (Courtesy of David Favorito)

Favorito has been a solo act for years but with the new band coming into place, he has found that it comes with its own unique challenges.

“Equipment is really expensive…getting a full drum set and speakers, it’s not easy being a broke college student,” Favorito said.

Scarlet Wednesday is in its beginning stages of meeting up to rehearse and write music, but the band is excited to get back to doing what they love.

“I’m excited to get back to it – especially being able to perform in a college town. It’ll be an adventure for sure,” Mroz-Roakes said.

Grace Clarke is an opinion writer. Contact her at [email protected]