Track and field sets program records over the weekend

Matthew Franos, Reporter

Kent State’s track and field team set multiple school records and personal-bests during the weekend events.

The Flashes had 36 athletes competing in the Penn State National Open. The team also sent nine athletes to the Illini Challenge at the University of Illinois.

At Penn State, Kent State seniors Jaheim Jones and Asa Hodrick highlighted the weekend as they earned first and second place, respectively, in the men’s 60 meter race.

Jones ran a personal-best 6.71 seconds. The performance put him in a tie for fifth all-time in Kent State history.

Hodrick matched his personal-best at 6.74, making him 10th all-time in Kent State history.

Jones and Hodrick did not stop at just one event as they placed first and second, respectively, again in the men’s 200 meter race.

“Asa and Jaheim killed it this weekend,” coach Nathan Fanger said. “Team leadership wise, I think they are doing a heck of a job.”

Graduate student Grace Luther also continued her dominance for the women’s team placing first in the women’s weight throw. Her throw was 18.92 meters which is eighth all-time in Kent State history.

“She PR’d (Personal Record) first meet out at Virginia Tech, PR’d this weekend,” said Fanger. Luther is “doing impressively well.”

In Illinois, freshman Svenia DeConinck took home a win in the women’s indoor pentathlon high jump. Junior Alex Shields also tallied a first place finish and a personal best in the men’s heptathlon long jump.

DeConinck and freshman Matilde Carboncini set program records for ninth and 10th all-time on their debuts in the pentathlon.

Graduate student Leah Lisle had a personal-best 5,000 meter-run. The 17:17.29 performance was the fifth-fastest in school history.

Baidy Ba had a PR performance in the men’s mile with a 4:01.60 time, placing eighth.

“This week was more of a load phase,” Fanger said. “He is looking for the team to reload and improve for the big meet at the Spire Indoor Games on February 11.”

Next weekend the teams will compete at the Akron Invitational and also send athletes to the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame.

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]