Men’s basketball Sincere Carry wins another award

Kaitlyn Murray

Kent State Guard Sincere Carry stares at the ball as he prepares for the Buffalo Bulls to attempt to score.

Joshua Aponte, Reporter

Kent State men’s basketball player redshirt senior guard Sincere Carry was named the 2022 Male Collegiate Athlete of the Year at the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse on Jan. 25.

Carry made program history, becoming the second Kent State athlete to receive the honors in school history.

He joined Reggie Jagers III who won the award in 2017 for track and field.

Carry received the award during the 23rd Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, which is an event held annually recognizing Northeast Ohio athletes ranging from the high school level to the professionals.

Athletes are selected by local media and sports outlets, who are on an awards committee. The committee then selects the finalists from a number of Northeast Ohio counties and the winner is determined by the number of votes they receive.

Carry recognized those who supported him when asked about the award.

“I give credit to my family more than myself. All the sacrifices they made from my mom to my guardians, making sure I’m on the right path and making sure I’m good. I feel like without them none of this was possible,” Carry said. “I gotta thank God. I’m blessed at the end of the day.”

The award is one of many that Carry has received with Kent State.

Kent State redshirt senior Sincere Carry scans the court, looking for teammates that aren’t covered by a Buffalo University opponent. (Kaitlyn Murray)

He was named the 2022 All-MAC Player of the Year and named to the All-MAC First Team and Defensive Team in 2022.

Carry led the 2021-2022 Flashes in points and assists, averaging 17.9 points per game along with four assists per game.

On Feb. 22, 2022 Carry set a program record against Ball State for 3-pointers in a game with 10, and finishing with a career-high 42 points.

Coach Rob Senderoff spoke about what the award means to the team.

“Certainly proud of him and very much deserved,” Senderoff said. “It’s certainly a tremendous honor for him and everybody here at Kent for one of our athletes to get that.”

This season Carry has led the Flashes to a 17-4 overall record with a 7-1 record within conference play, as well as the second longest home winning streak in the NCAA at 16 games.

He currently leads the team in points per game (17.3), field goal percentage (41%) and assists per game (5).

Kent State redshirt senior Sincere Carry listening to coach Rob Senderoff during the game on Jan. 27, 2023. (Emma Van Winkle)

In his most recent game, Carry led the Flashes to yet another victory.

He had 24 points and seven assists, shooting 10-for-19 from the field as KSU defeated Buffalo 74-68.

Carry is looking forward to the MAC tournament and has a goal in mind.

“It felt good just being in Cleveland,” Carry said. “I hope I’m there holding up another trophy in March.”

Carry and the Flashes look to extend their home winning streak as they host Central Michigan.

Tip off is on Tuesday 7 p.m. in the M.A.C. Center.

Joshua Aponte is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]