Men’s basketball loses first wagon wheel matchup

Joshua Aponte, Reporter

Kent State’s men’s basketball team dropped the first wagon wheel matchup of the season, losing 67-55 against Akron.

The Zips ended the Flashes’ two game win streak, completing a wire-to-wire victory for Akron. 

The Flashes never led through the entirety of the game.

Kent State (18-5) lost its second conference game of the year and is now 8-2 in the Mid-American Conference.

With the loss, Akron (17-6) took sole possession of first place in the MAC and is now 9-1 in conference play.

KSU’s redshirt senior guard Sincere Carry led the team with 15 points, three assists and five rebounds.

Redshirt senior Malique Jacobs added 12 points, three rebounds and three assists. Sophomore guard Jalen Sullinger stepped up after redshirt junior guard Giovanni Santiago left the game early with a hand injury. Sullinger had 13 points and three rebounds.

Akron’s senior guard Xavier Castaneda had a game-high 24 points shooting 5-of-9 from three. Junior forward Enrique Freeman finished with a double-double, scoring 19 points with 17 rebounds and three assists. 

Akron’s defense held Kent State to 37.5% field goal percentage while shooting 23.1% from three. The Zips shot 42.2% from the field while shooting 40.9% from three. 

Next up, the Flashes will host Bowling Green at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the M.A.C. Center.

Joshua Aponte is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]