Women’s basketball trails nearly the whole game in loss

Lucas Baker, Reporter

The Kent State women’s basketball team has allowed, on average, the fewest points per game (61.2) of any Mid-American Conference team this season.

But Saturday, in Muncie, Indiana, the Flashes surrendered 80 points in a loss against Ball State.

Kent State trailed from 7:17 in the first quarter and on in the 80-71 loss.

Ball State had five different players with double-digit scoring.

Kent State (14-7) is in fourth place in the Mid-American Conference with a 6-4 record. Ball State (19-4) is tied for first place in the MAC with a 9-1 record in the Conference. The Cardinals have now won seven-straight games.

Close first half

At 8:24 Kent State took a 5-2 lead after junior guard Casey Santoro made a free throw. KSU did not have another lead in the game.

The Cardinals led 29-20 at the end of the first quarter.

The Flashes shot 43.7% from the field and 50% from deep while the Cardinals shot 66.6% from the field and also 50% from deep.

In the second quarter, Kent State scored 16 points, while shooting 43.7% from the field and 20% from three while Ball State shot 66.6% and 0-for-5 from three.

The Cardinals led 43-36 at the end of the half.

Rough second half 

KSU had its best quarter, scoring 21 points in the third quarter.

From the field, Kent shot 38.8% and 16.6% from three while The Cardinals had 60% and 25%.

Kent State trailed 62-57 at the end of the third quarter.

Ball State outscored Kent State 18 to 14 in the final period of play.

To wrap things up, Kent shot a 40% from the field and 25% from beyond the arch while Ball State shot 50% and 16.6%.

Kent State’s senior guard Katie Shumate scored 20, leading the Flashes in scoring.

Kent State’s senior forward Lindsey Thall leads the team with 11.9 points per game. Saturday she had just two points.

Katie Shumate led the team in scoring with 22 points, adding nine rebounds, two assists, a block and a steal. This was her second-highest scoring performance of the season.

Santoro added 16 points with four assists, two rebounds and two steals. Freshman guard Corynne Hauser added 10 points.

Kent State shot 41% from the field and 26.1% from three in the game. Ball State shot 50.9% from the field and 28% from three in the game.

The Flashes turned the ball over 12 times, while Ball State had nine turnovers in the game.

Kent State will return home to take on Central Michigan.

Central Michigan (4-17) is currently tied for last place in the MAC with a 2-8 conference record.

Tip off is Wednesday 7 p.m. in the M.A.C.C.

Lucas Baker is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]