Women’s basketball completes season sweep in 41 point win against Akron

Matthew Brown

The Kent State women’s basketball team forms a huddle after securing a victory over Akron during the wagon wheel game Feb. 18, 2023.

Lucas Baker, Reporter

The Kent State women’s basketball team’s 41-point win was the largest margin of victory over Akron since 1998, completing the season sweep. 

KSU’s 87-46 win was the team’s 10th home win of the year. 

Kent State (17-8) remains in fourth place in the Mid-American Conference at 9-5.

Akron (15-10) is now tied for fifth place with Northern Illinois at 6-8.

The Flashes’ offense was dominant, having 20 assists with four players scoring double-digits.

“I thought we did a really good job of moving off the ball,” coach Todd Starkey said. “We created space and passing lanes for our teammates.”

Dominant First Half

The Flashes started hot, going 3-of-3 from behind the arc and shooting 75% from the field in the first quarter. 

Akron was held to 30% from the field and 0-for-2 from beyond the arc.

KSU and Akron both had three turnovers in the first quarter, with Kent State converting for five points.

Senior guard Katie Shumate led the Flashes with nine points and freshman guard Corynne Hauser added eight.

Kent State freshman Corynne Hauser lines up a free throw during the wagon wheel game against Akron Feb. 18, 2023. (Matthew Brown)

The Flashes led the entire quarter, dominating 28-10 over the Zips.

“We were just playing with a lot of energy,” Hauser said. “I think we were having fun with it too.” 

The Flashes and Zips both put up 20 points in the second, as KSU hit its first six three-attempts in the game until missing its first.

Kent shot 50% from the field and 40% from deep, with Akron shooting 58.3% from the field and 2-2 from three in the second quarter.

Shumate was successful from mid-range, going 5-6 from the field and putting up 12 points in the first half.

Hauser ended the first half with a total of 11 points.

“Flashing people in there and getting them out quick, just keeping that constant movement in and out of the paint” Shumate said. “We were just finding holes and then catching it in the middle.”

Kent State led at the end of the first half, leaving the score 48-30.

Steady Second Half

In the third, KSU kept the pressure on the Zips, keeping them to only 25% from the field and three.

Kent State totaled 23 in the third quarter, outsourcing Akron by 13, and adding five assists.

The Flashes would eventually take a 32-point lead in the third, leading 71-40 at the end of the quarter.

In the fourth, Kent State only allowed six points from Akron.

The Flashes were able to end the game with 16 points in the fourth quarter, while shooting 38% from the field.

Akron’s points only came from the free throw line as the team shot 0-for-7 from the field and 0-of-1 from three.

Kent State senior Katie Shumate dribbles in toward the net during the wagon wheel game against Akron Feb. 18, 2023. (Matthew Brown)

Shumate led the team with a double-double, scoring 18 points with 10 rebounds and two assists. Hauser followed with 17 points, four assists, three rebounds and a block.

KSU Scored 23 points off of 18 turnovers. 

“Usually over the course of a college game, somebody’s going to get some turnover baskets on your team,” Starkey said. “So, I was a little bit shocked when I saw that.”

Kent State’s next game will be against Ohio University.

The Bobcats currently are 4-10, sitting at the bottom of the MAC.

Tipoff is Wednesday 7 p.m. in the M.A.C.C. 

Luke Baker is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]