Award–winning architectural author set to speak Feb. 27 as a part of lecture series

Anthony Zacharyasz, Reporter

The College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) is kick-starting its spring semester lecture series with Neyran Turan, who has been recognized for multiple awards across the architectural field.

The lecture will take place in Cene Lecture Hall located in the John Elliot Center for Architecture and Environmental Design Feb. 27 at 5:30 p.m.

Turan is currently an associate professor of architecture at the University of California-Berkeley and a founding partner of NEMESTUDIO, an architectural practice based in San Francisco, her university biography page states.

Turan’s practice, NEMESTUDIO, has been recognized for numerous awards including multiple Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts awards and the 2016 Architectural League New York Prize for Young Architects.

Turan embodies what the lecture series is meant for and will leave an impact on attendees, said Andrea Sosa Fontaine, chair of the CAED lectures and exhibitions committee, in an email.

“A number of our faculty are familiar with both Turan’s award-winning architectural practice and research, and know that the lecture will present emerging theories that will impact both faculty and students,” Fontaine said.

Turan will highlight topics surrounding alternative forms of planetary imagination within architecture and urbanism by questioning climate change as both a cultural and political idea that are all a part of her award-winning book, “Architecture as Measure,” Fontaine said.

The lecture will last about an hour, followed by a moderated discussion and a Q&A session with Turan, Fontaine said.

No registration is required for the event, but for those that cannot attend in-person, a live stream will take place on CAED’s lecture series page, where past years’ events can also be found.

“For our faculty, students and local design professionals, the lecture series promotes lifelong learning, the sharing of innovative ideas, and our continual commitment to the design and construction of a more equitable world,” Fontaine said.

To learn more about other upcoming events CAED will host, visit its events page.

Anthony Zacharyasz is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].