Women’s basketball Shumate ties season-high in victory over Eastern Michigan

Lucas Baker, Reporter

A 24-point second quarter moved the Kent State women’s basketball team past Eastern Michigan in a 75-67 win.

Kent State won its fourth-straight game and has won eight of its last 10 games.

“It was a really good second quarter for us,” coach Todd Starkey said. “We were able to play a solid game the rest of the way and kind of control what happened.”

The Flashes (19-8) remain in fourth place in the Mid-American Conference at 11-5.

The Eastern Michigan Eagles (14-13) sit in a three-way tie for seventh place at 6-10.

Senior guard Katie Shumate led the team with 23 points with nine rebounds, three assists and a block.

This was the third time she has scored 20-plus points and seventh time she has scored double-digit points in the month of February.

Big second quarter

Eastern Michigan jumped out in front early.

KSU shot 35.3% from the field while only shooting 25% from deep.

EMU’s offense had success early, shooting 72.7% from the field and 80% from three and leading 22-13 at the end of the first quarter.

“Eastern Michigan came out firing on all cylinders, I thought we were just kind of lackluster, not bad, just not where we needed to be,” Starkey said. “We came to the huddle at the end of the first quarter and really just challenged them to be better connected and to challenge shots more.”

The Flashes held the Eagles to only six points in the second quarter.

Eastern Michigan went just 1-of-10 from the field and 1-of-2 from three while also forcing four turnovers.

Kent State improved offensively, shooting 61.5% from the field and 60% from beyond the arc.

Shumate scored 13 consecutive points, scoring Kent State’s first 10 points in the second quarter.

Kent State scored 14 points in the paint in the first half.

“Defensively as a group we were really good, and Katie was just kind of feeling it and making some plays,” Starkey said. “We were running some stuff for her as well, for the past month she’s been one of the best players in the league.”

KSU headed into halftime, leading 37-28.

Finishing strong

The Eagles found their offense, outscoring Kent State 19-15 in the third.

Both teams shot 42.8% from the field and 33.3% from three. The Eagles were 6-of-6 from the free throw line.

Kent State led EMU at the end of the third  52-47.

In the fourth quarter EMU 87.5% from the field, missing just one shot. KSU’s 23-point fourth quarter kept the lead and secured the win.

The Flashes shot 66.67% from the field and 60% from beyond the arc. They outscored the Eagles 23-20 in the fourth.

Kent State finished with a total of 16 assists, forcing 15 turnovers.

Shumate tied her season-high with her 23-point performance.

Graduate student guard Hannah Young was second in scoring with 17 points, adding two rebounds and two steals.

“We really wanted to use her [Young] to space the floor and she just kind of played in rhythm the rest of the way,” Starkey said. “In the second quarter she had one turnover, we talked about it, she made the adjustment and really played well.”

What’s next

Kent State will take on Toledo next.

The Rockets (23-4) are the current conference leaders, holding a record of 13-2 in the MAC.

“Toledo is really good,” Starkey said. “I think they probably have been as consistent as anyone in the league…I’m looking forward to the opportunity and we’ll see what we come up with.”

Tip off is 7 p.m. on Wednesday in Toledo. The Flashes have two games left in the season.

Lucas Baker is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]